[CentOS] How to make rescue disk??

Thu Apr 21 14:02:19 UTC 2005
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic at pbl.ca>

Olivier Taylor wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When installing centos 4 and raid software, reboot doesn't work...
>
> Locked on a black screen with Grub on it.
>
> How to repair grob config?
>
> I suppose i need a rescue disk, how to do that?

You can use first installation CD (or DVD) as rescue disc.  On boot
prompt simply type "linux rescue".

If you really want to create dedicated rescue CD (like the one
distributed with Fedora Core), use
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/mk-rescueimage.i386 script.  If you don't have
it, install anaconda-runtime RPM package.  You'll need files from first
installation CD (or DVD).  See comments in the script for the usage.
You'll get ~75MB ISO image of rescue CD that you can burn onto CD.

> Or how to use Lilo in place of Grub?

On already installed system?  Boot into rescue, chroot /mnt/sysimage,
install lilo package, remove grub package, edit /etc/lilo.conf, execute
/sbin/lilo.

On fresh installation?  Not sure if it is possible to select LILO from
GUI.  If doing kickstart installation, place "bootloader --location=mbr
--useLilo" into your ks.cfg.