[CentOS] NFS insanity

Sun Apr 24 17:04:16 UTC 2005
Noah Dain <noahdain at gmail.com>

On 4/24/05, Mark Weaver <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com> wrote:
> Paul Heinlein wrote:
> > On 04/24/2005 06:54 AM, Mark Weaver wrote:
> >
> >> My workstation is CentOS 4. I reloaded it to get rid of the FC3
> >> installation at the front of the main drive and recover some space on
> >> the second drive moving CentOS to the main drive. Everything else
> >> works wonderfully as advertised. The following is the only feedback
> >> I'm getting when attempting to mount the share from the FC3 server.
> >> (the shares on the file server mount perfectly)
> >

> > In the server's /etc/exports, try adding "insecure" to the general
> > option list, e.g.,
> >
> > /foo/bar   192.168.10.0/24(rw,root_squash,insecure,sync)
> >
> > The nfs client that ships with CentOS 4 uses a port number higher than
> > 1024 by default, which isn't what most Linux systems expect.
> >

> After adding those options to the list the results are the same.
> Although I'm curious what "root_squash" does. If my assumption is
> correct it prevents root user on the client machine from authenticating,
> yes?
>
> --
> Mark

from exports manpage:

root_squash
              Map requests from uid/gid 0 to the anonymous uid/gid.
Note that this does not apply to any other uids that might be equally
sensitive, such as user bin.

and ...

no_root_squash
              Turn  off  root  squashing.  This  option  is  mainly
useful for diskless clients.

--
Noah Dain
noahdain at gmail.com