[CentOS] How to add a language/charsets to the system and how to use special characters?

Tue Apr 26 13:36:36 UTC 2005
Olaf Greve <o.greve at axis.nl>

Hi,

> Have you tried localedef ?

Hmm, I just tried that and set the charmap to UTF-8.

When executing 'locale' the following output is shown:
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Now, UTF-8 ought to support pretty much ALL characters in the world,
however, perhaps in my case the set is restricted to solely the
characters used in the UK?!?

Does anyone know how to test if the special characters are properly
installed, and/or how to use them in 'the Windows way'?
I.e. on Windows platforms, when I need e.g. the 'enye' I simply type
<ALT>164 and there it is.

Can anyone tell me how to achieve the same under CentOS?

Cheers!
Olafo