[CentOS] General question on QA from a Fedora Core fan

Fri Apr 29 02:07:03 UTC 2005
John Newbigin <jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au>

It is normally quite easy to mix packages from similar distros.  I would
recommend using a CentOS install but adding packages from Fedora as
required.  There will come a time when the Fedora packages have too many
core dependencies but if you want to run latest and greatest you always
have that problem.

Tracking updates can become a problem but again, if you were worried
about staying stable and secure then you would not be using Fedora
anyway. (Indeed I think CentOS-4 is still too new).

I guess it also depends how many machines you are looking after.  I
detest having to make changes on one specific machine because we have
lots of CentOS boxes and doing things individually is not feasible.

John.

--
John Newbigin
Computer Systems Officer