[CentOS] General question on QA from a Fedora Core fan

Fri Apr 29 16:49:44 UTC 2005
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 11:34 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 20:49, Collins Richey wrote:
>
> > > My self I use Debian for my desktop and CentOS for my servers. With
> > > Debian always can I get the newer "killer app" for Gnome.
> > >

> > What would be really great would be an intermediate level solution -
> > the stability of the RHEL/CentOS base with available updates for KDE /
> > GNOME / GIMP / PHP / MYSQL / POSTGRES etc. compiled on that base for
> > those who want more current apps on the desktop or for development.
> > And that with something considerably less experimental than the
> > all-or-nothing FCn releases.
> >
> > Yes, I'm dreaming.
>
> You might like ubuntu which doesn't force you to make a choice
> between stability and having up to date applications, although they
> haven't been around long enough to see if they can really manage a
> fast release schedule without introducing a lot of new bugs.
>
> http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

----
the notion of being 'forced' to choose between stability and up-to-date
is absurd - the reality is as it is.

Stability is tested, confirmed, supported.

Up-to-date is new, less tested, less confirmed, not supported.

One cannot be both. Ubuntu similarly makes choices - the choices aren't
apparent to user until user chooses repositories for apt - after all it
is a Debian distribution.

Sometimes I wish you understood your own references.

Craig