[CentOS] ethernet interfaces swapped around

sudo Yang

sudoyang at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 01:02:46 UTC 2005

One of my systems have two onboard NICs which uses the e100 and e1000
drivers (yes, the interfaces are not the same).  This system kickstart
fine with CentOS 3.x.  I recently tried to rekick it with CentOS 4.x
but was unsuccessful in doing so.  When kicking CentOS 4.1, the
interfaces are swapped around, i.e. eth0 becomes eth1 and eth1 becomes
eth0 (as described at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=104888957013124&w=2).
Is there a way to fix the interface during kickstart?

Unfortunately, because we have so many different types of systems,
simply swapping the cables is not a good idea because it complicates
management.