[CentOS] bash file direct execution

dan1 dan1 at edenpics.com
Tue Aug 2 08:14:39 UTC 2005

>Hi Dan!
>
>The  '/bin/sh' command is usually a symbolic link to  '/bin/bash'.
>Check this by   ls -l  /bin/sh   (should show it pointing to bash).
>
>Maybe the link has gotton broken some how.
>
>Change the  '#!/bin/sh' in the scripts to  '#!/bin/bash' and see if
they then execute ok.

>If so,  as root,   'rm  /bin/sh' ,  followed by  'ln -s /bin/bash  /bin/sh'
>to fix the link.

Hi Bruce.

Good idea.. I tried it also already... unfortunately it's not that.
And replacing #!/bin/sh by #!/bin/bash makes the same problem: no output.
To try something else, I have written something to a file by the script, to
see if this was an display problem, and that the script would print out to
somewhere else than to the console output. The file is not written at all,
so it's really like if the script would not be executed at all.
The output of the execution of any script is the following:

[root at box /]# /test.sh
[root at box /]#

So it finds the file, is apparently able to do something with it, but
doesn't execute the script nor display any message regarding the problem
that occurs.

I also tried to replace the /bin/bash file with another one same version
from a CentOS 4 machine on which that problem doesn't occur, and the issue
still remains.

That's a tough one, isn't it ? And I'm a bit annoyed because I wouldn't like
to re-install everything, I just passed 2-3 days configuring this new
server. Appart of that it works great.. As many scripts are calling others
without putting the 'sh command' but directly accessing it with it's path, I
think that I have to solve that issue before being able to use the server in
production, because it might be fatal in a future need of it working
properly.

Thanks for all your inputs that I appreciate a lot..

Daniel