[CentOS] How to login to a new session?

Tue Aug 2 09:44:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 21:10 +1200, Tom wrote:
> duffmckagan wrote:
> > I have Cent OS 4 with KDE.
> > How do I enable an option of starting a new session with the current running?
> >
> > What I want to do is.....If I Lock my Screen, the other user should be
> > able to Login to a new session on the Same computer.

There was just a thread on the list that explains how to do this
perfectly :)

First, you lock your screen, then you press ctrl-alt-F2 (or ctrl-alt-f3,
f4, f5) and allow the other user to login at the console as the user you
want.

Then issue the command:

xinit /usr/bin/gnome-session -- :1

OR

xinit /usr/bin/startkde -- :1

You would then use (one of these) ctrl-alt-f8, f9, f10, f11, f12 to
access the session ... and ctrl-alt-f7 for your orginal session.

For a third user, pick a console (ctrl-alt-f3) and do:

xinit /usr/bin/startkde -- :2

(or you could do gnome)

and it should go to the graphical console (ctrl-alt-f9).

that will work easily for up to 5 users ... if you need more than that,
other things would need to be done.