[CentOS] Opteron in 32-bit mode

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Aug 2 12:54:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 00:09 -0400, Jim Wildman wrote:
> Sure.  The issues I am aware of are around the management processor
> implementation ... This is in contrast to HP's RIB/iLO family of cards,

So your complaints surround the management processor.
Okay, thanx for that heads up.

I was just wondering if you had run into stability or other issues with
the implementation itself, which seems to be the ultimate in I/O design.

> Additionally, the v40z is an orphan.  Sun has announced plans to replace
> them (and their little brothers, v20z) with 'Galaxy' class boxes of
> their own design.

Can't wait to see that design.

> All of that said, once they are installed, they seem to be rock solid.

Okay, that was my concern because I've setup at least one SunFire V40z
personally (although not it's management processor, it was for a small
firm, long story), and I didn't have any issues.

> If you are expecting a very Solaris looking platform for Linux, the v40z
> fills the bill.  If you are expecting a Wintel type platform (ala HP),
> it doesn't even get in the game.

If I want Wintel I will go HP, not Sun/2nd-tier.

--
Bryan J. Smith   b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com