[Bulk] [CentOS] hda dma seek errors

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Wed Aug 3 03:58:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 19:57 -0700, BRUCE STANLEY wrote:
> I am getting occasional seek error on my boot drive.
> The messages are as follows:
>
> pshda: dma_intr: status = 0x51 { Drive ReadySeekComplete Error }
>   hda: dma_intr: error= 0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>   ide: failed opcode was: unknown

I've recently seen similar errors on an old server here, and all my
Googling seems to indicate an early sign of imminent drive failure.

Some people reported resolving the issue by making changes to DMA
settings with hdparm, or changing something in the BIOS.  However, in
most cases, the recommendations were:

1. Backup data, ASAP, and wait for failure before moving to new disk
2. Use fdisk to map out the bad sectors.
3. Get a new HD, ASAP.

I've been doing option 1.  I have another server waiting in the wings,
so it'll be able to take over when the time comes.

HTH,

Ranbir
--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu