[CentOS] Re: How to query the package owning the file? -- Emerge?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Aug 4 06:16:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 00:58 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Sorry, but I don't think a distribution that makes you build your own
> system by following rambling documentation interspersed with example
> commands instead of just putting the commands in an executable
> script quite understands how unix users like to do things...

???

"Ports" distros are actually a throwback to many UNIX concepts.
Gentoo's Emerge is nothing new, and FreeBSD's ports work similar.

I think "ports" distros have much to offer for many things.
And Emerge _is_ scripts.

The problem is that people "oversell" what "ports" based distros do.
"Packages" distros are very capable in many areas.

Again, I break them down in my blog.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com