[CentOS] Modify rescue mode boot?

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 09:20:49 UTC 2005

On 03/08/05, Alberto Gonzalez <xagonzalezm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been able to boot with pxe and load linux rescue, it loads
> loader and ask me lang, keyboard,load base from nfs, etc... then it
> ask me about mount chroot or skip, I just choose skip to go to shell.
>
> What I want is boot in rescue mode and get a shell directly without
> having to enter lang, keyboard, nfs ip and dir, skip, etc... once
> booted on shell I want it automatically run a script mounted via nfs
> /mnt/source/myscript p.e. any idea on how to avoid all those questions
> from rescue mode??

Yep, something like this in a kickstart file...

$ cat wbel4-rescue-ks.cfg
# Kickstart configuration file RHEL/WBEL 4 Rescue Mode
#
#System  language
#
lang en_US.UTF-8
#
#Language modules to install
#
langsupport --default=en_GB.UTF-8 en_GB.UTF-8
#
#System keyboard
#
keyboard uk
#
#System mouse
#
mouse none
#
#Retrieve rescue system from NFS
#
nfs --server=XX.XX.XX.XX --dir=/whitebox/4/en/os/i386
#
#Network information
#
network --bootproto=dhcp

Then in /tftpboot/linux-install/pxelinux.cfg/default

label 3
  kernel wbel4/vmlinuz
  append initrd=wbel4/initrd.img ramdisk_size=10000 text rescue
ks=nfs:XX.XX.XX.XX:/kickstart/wbe
l4-rescue-ks.cfg

Will.