[CentOS] 3Ware Escalade 9500S mature enough yet for CentOS?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Aug 4 13:41:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 at 8:08am, Chris Mauritz wrote

> Robert Hanson wrote:
>
> >thanks Bryan, Kirk, and Shawn and others that may reply...
> >
> >what i wonder is this, when will we know about this next run of stability
> >issues with the 9500S series and the "next" (meaning after current one)
> >engineering beta firmware release etc?
> >
> >errrrr ;-> , how long till we know it's stable and that **another** "GOOD
> >bugfix" is in the pipe?

> I'm either really "lucky" or the bug just isn't that common.  I'm using
> a 9500 with RAID 5 on more than one production video editing system.
> Nary a problem to date and those disks get the crap beaten out of them
> when we edit uncompressed video.

To explain more fully, there's a cache allocation bug in the 9.2 firmware
that kills performance on cards where there is more than one unit defined
at boot time.  A second unit includes a hot spare.  So if you have only
one array on your boards and no hot spares, there'll be no problem.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering