[CentOS] Welcome screen is crashing.

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Fri Aug 5 02:17:20 UTC 2005

On Aug 4, 2005, at 9:45 PM, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> the ./configure failed, I attempted to update KDE following
> instructions on their web site.
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this part worries me a bit.

as a general rule, the more you diverge from the standard
distribution, the more likely you are to encounter instability or
unexpected behavior.  KDE is very big, and has lots of dependencies,
and thus lots of potential to break things.

did you upgrade by installing new RPMs, or by building from source?
whichever way you chose, it may be difficult to get back to a stable
configuration if you overwrote the installation of KDE that was
already there.

-steve

---
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v