[CentOS] Welcome screen is crashing.

Dave Gutteridge dave at tokyocomedy.com
Fri Aug 5 05:54:13 UTC 2005

>At the risk of seeming like I'm telling you to go back to where you
>started, if you find yourself wanting the full set of latest'n greatest
>software, I don't know if CentOS is most ideal.

I didn't think I did want the latest'n greatest. Following the
instructions to configure KDE was not an attempt to get some new
super-cool feature. I just wanted some themes. Not particularly fancy
themes, I just wanted to change the look of my desktop. I didn't think
that would be a particularly shock inducing task. If I did end up
upgrading or advancing beyond what CentOS was designed for, it was only
through faithfully following the instructions to get themes working.
The only cutting edge software I was looking for was the OpenOffice
beta, and that's only because I already have .ods files created with the
Beta version from when I was running it in Windows.
Other than that, I don't aspire for anything bleeding edge, just more or
less the same hardware and application functionality I used to get in
Windows. And I'm more or less there. The only things on the task-list
are Palm Pilot connectivity and Japanese input, which I'm led to believe
are possible in CentOS.

>I can't remember, but what was the main logic of your move to CentOS?

Logic? What is this "logic" of which you speak? I don't know the meaning
of the word. One morning I woke up and a synapse fired in my brain that
said "You must make your computer as open-source as possible NOW! Obey
me minion, for I am your brain and I seek to destroy the convenience of
your workflow for arbitrary and inexplicable reasons!".

Dave