[CentOS] SMTP auth with Sendmail

Peter Farrow

peter at farrows.org
Fri Aug 5 09:52:43 UTC 2005

Dear All,

I have two machines, a Centos 3.4 machine and a Centos 4.1 machine.

I have used the same sendmail.mc file on each, and 3.4 machine does
plain SMTP auth with no problems, compiling the same mc file on the 4.1
machine gives this error:

xxxxx [x.x.x.x] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

in the logs, it doesn't even try to authenticate, the cyrus sasl rpm is
installed for auth PLAIN

It reports this from the EHLO so all looks good:
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP

The 3.4 box reports this:

250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

P.