[CentOS] Re: And now onto the palm pilot with Kpilot

Dave Gutteridge dave at tokyocomedy.com
Fri Aug 5 10:50:48 UTC 2005

> Save it and try to push the hotsync button on you Tungsten E. If you
> do a ls -l on /dev/pilot you should see something the simlink: pilot
> -> ttyUSB1
> Now, try again to sync in KPilot. It worked for me!

Thank you for that very helpful advice. I at least understand what's
going on more.
I did as you advised, and I see this when I run ls -l /dev/pilot:

[root at localhost rules.d]# ls -l /dev/pilot
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 7 Aug  5 18:19 /dev/pilot -> ttyUSB1

It seems to be as you predict.
Except I notice that /dev/pilot is *always* a symlink to ttyUSB1,
whether the palm is connecting or not.

Is it possible that when I did this:
cd /dev
ln -s ttyUSB1 pilot
ln -s ttyUSB1 palm
chmod 0666 pilot palm

... previous to getting your advice, I created a symlink that is over
riding what is in 10-visor-rules?

If so, can I remove my previous symlinks so that 10-visor-rules will
take effect?

Dave