[CentOS] Java installation problem.

duffmckagan mckagan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 19:11:53 UTC 2005

On 8/6/05, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I downloaded the   jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin    files and then
> > run it as   ./jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin.
> > It resulted in an rpm file. and then i used
> > rpm -iv jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm
>
> I assume from your install steps that you're using the package
> downloaded from Sun's website. This java install goes into /usr/java/
> which is not in your path by default.
>
> > Everything went fine and I didn't get any error.
> > But when I do
> > java -version    ......i don't get any output.
>
> You won't with this rpm, as it's still running /usr/bin/java which is
> a placeholder type file.
>
> > I would like to know whether java is installed on my system or not.
> >
> Yes, it's installed but since it is not in your path, so unless you
> run it directly with /usr/java/jre-xxxxx/bin/java it won't work.
>
> If all you need is the runtime environment, you can install this from
> dag's repository (dag.wieers.com/home-made/j2re/ install instructions
> for the repo at http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B4 )

I found an error 404 while accessing the first link.

> If you want to use what you already have, you will need to add an
> entry to your path. You can do this on a per-user basis by editing the
> .bashrc or .bash_profile files with an entry like
>
> PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/jre-xxx/bin
> export PATH
>
> Of the two, I'd rpm -e what you've already got installed, and ensure
> that the /usr/java/ dir is gone (I don't really trust sun's packaging)
> and install the packages from dag's repo. They're quite good, and
> significantly more user friendly.

But why would I need to uninstall the existing rpm, if it is gonna work good?
If it not, I will surely get it working by following dag's method.

Moreover, i also need to configure my yum.
I have been working with apt (In Debian)  a lot, and this yum is quite
new to me.

--
"No-one dies a virgin. Life screws everyone."