[CentOS] Re: KDE Upgrade from 3.3.1 to 3.4.2

duffmckagan mckagan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 13:04:47 UTC 2005

> On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 06:33 +0000, duffmckagan wrote:
> > On 8/7/05, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > apt and yum are pretty much the same functionality.  With yum, you can
> > > skip apt's 'apt-get update' step, and
> > >
> > > apt-get install foo => yum install foo
> > > apt-get upgrade => yum upgrade
> > >
> > > -- Rex
> >
> > After going through a lot of headache of solving dependencies and
> > conflicts manually, I finally got KDE 3.4 working.
> > And wow......it looks good.
> > Still I have to install a lot of additional stuff, and again there are
> > so many dependencies.
> >

> It is your computer and you can do what you want :)
>
> But, there are so many dependency changes and so many replacement files,
> including many things that are not KDE, that I would not recommend
> upgrading to either KDE 3.4 (or Gnome 2.10 for that matter) to a normal
> user.  This is especially true if you want the stability of an
> enterprise OS.
>
> Not to say that those are not both great Display systems (they both
> offer good things) ... but they might make some packages, compiled
> against the older versions of either, not work correctly.
>
> Again, I am not trying to tel people what to do, just point out that
> once you make an upgrade as drastic as that (upgrading KDE or Gnome) to
> CentOS-4, it is not really CentOS-4 anymore ... but more like Fedora
> Core again.
>
> Not that there is anything bad about Fedora Core ... it is just not
> CentOS :)

You are absolutely right.
But I am kinda learning things. Like upgrading and stuff like that.
Moreover, I will learn more and more things, by doing such things
(That is what I feel.)

I simply want to learn things.
But yes, again, that was well put, and you proved your point.

But I am using Cent OS.....because I like Red Hat.
Simply not Fedora Core, cuz it is not for me. I have had bad
experiences with it.

But I will try it soon.(If this comes to my mind ;-) )
Moreover, the thing is, I am hooked onto Red Hat Systems. They have
brought me into the Linux world, and I want to master it .

--
"No-one dies a virgin. Life screws everyone."