[CentOS] RE: Caching nameserver -- BIND(?) caching/forwarding server

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Aug 10 16:19:20 UTC 2005

Robert Hanson <roberth at abbacomm.net> wrote:
> what does your resolv.conf file look like?
> what does your named.conf file look like?

>From what I saw in this thread, the original poster is (was?)
interested in caching for local Windows systems.  That's why
"nscd" came up but was quickly dismissed.

> maybe the thread name should be changed if you are using
> bind or bind caching nameserver

That's why I append the subject to nscd, but now I've
responded and changed it again here.  We started to go off on
"nscd," but then we came back to the BIND or another DNS
caching/fowarding server**.

-- Bryan

**[OT]NOTE:  My primary reason for doing this is that it
makes it easier to find discussions in the archives, while
still reserving the "sort by subject" in the mail readers
too.  It's the same logic that was used prior for UseNet per
the (now lost?) O'Reilly discussion guidelines.  It not only
helps raise my ratings in Google searches, as well as
popularity in people who click on them, but I get thanks from
people who see my subject appendings mid-thread out of dozens
or even hundreds of items (saving them a lot of effort).

Thread ID in SMTP/NNTP always maintains threading proper
(which is why I switched to Yahoo for webmail recently, away
from not only my old provider who didn't, but GMail which has
stated it will never).