Bind Caching Nameserver <was: Re: [CentOS] Caching nameserver--Name Services Cache Daemon (nscd)>

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 17:39:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 12:31, William Warren wrote:
> no this is not authoritative.  I actually have my ecc domain hosted
> elsewhere..i simply clal my machines internally that to keep it simple
> so there are behind a nat in RFC1918 space at the house here.

Usually that means you want external and internal lookups to resolve
to different addresses.  The simple way to get that is to configure
your local server as authoritative so your own machines using it get
the local addresses, but leave the hosted server registered as the
public server with the addresses the public should see.

Your server will not pass queries upstream if it is configured as
master or slave for the matching zone regardless of whether or
not it is registered with the root servers.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com