[CentOS] Re: Bind Setup -- SME (fka E-Smith) Server based on CentOS 4?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Aug 10 18:46:50 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, if you really don't want to know all this
> stuff, you might like the SME server from www.contribs.org.
> The next version is going to be based on Centos4 and there
> is an alpha release available now.  There are things I
don't
> like about the system but for small networks where one
> server does everything and you want 'fill-in-the-form'
> administration it is a good fit.

In other words, it's great for deploying at companies when
you can't be around -- like most small consultants are for at
small companies.

The last time I checked out work on SME, a number of Debian
users were complaining that it should be Debian based.  I
have  like Debian (Murdock's attitudes, used to be a
maintainer too, etc...), but I thought it was rather
self-defeating to move away from all the work that had
already been done for the Red Hat Linux / RPM lineage.
Especially since those people were not very into the existing
codebase (or support).

I think it's great that they are going to base it on CentOS
4!
And I'm glad to hear there is an Alpha test available.