[CentOS] Firefox, Flash and Java on CentOS 4.1 x86-64

Karl S. Katzke

karl at streetlampsoftware.com
Wed Aug 10 19:52:23 UTC 2005

First of all, I just want to say *again* how happy I am with CentOS.
Across our boxes and our clients boxes, we're running it on more than 20
machines at the moment and it's by far the most painless OS to
administer in detail that I've ever used. (Of course, I'm an old Slak
hat, but ...) Thanks so much to the community and the maintainers.

We've recently run into a problem with a dual-opteron system that is
running LTSP and serving up X and Firefox to a whole bunch of diskless
clients. We're using the x86-64 build of CentOS, with the appropriate
Firefox package. The client users have all been asking for Flash, since
many websites are unusable without Flash these days ... but there's no
64-bit build of the Flash plugin. (Thanks, Macromedia! You suck!)

What's the best way to provide Flash (and maybe Java?) with Firefox on
this server box? How big will the performance hit be from running non-64
bit packages? Any specific tips & hints?

Thanks!

-Karl Katzke