[CentOS] host controller halted... scarry error

Ulrik S. Kofod usk at cybersite.dk
Thu Aug 11 12:32:03 UTC 2005

Phil Schaffner sagde:
> On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 10:23 +0200, Ulrik S. Kofod wrote:
>> The HDD LED was on and after I connected a monitor all I could see was this error
message over and over again:
>> "usb-uhci.c: host controller halted, trying to restart"
>
> Hard to see what that has to do with usb-uhci - hde is apparently on an IDE
controller and usb-uhci is USB.  Could be a memory or MB issue.  I'd try running
memtest86+ and monitor logs for errors.  Checking all disks with smart is also
indicated.

After I had fixed all the errors and everything was running again, I tried copying
the files again and the same thing happened. It wiped the disks gave same error
message on the screen and it was pretty much a brick again. But this time I was
prepared, I had copied everything to a smaller temp box that could take over if this
one failed again.

There are no USB devices connected to that box, only USB devise involved was the HDD
I was copying to, but that was connected to the windows box. I find it hard to
believe that a HDD connected to a USB port on a windows box can cause above error
and wipe the disks on my Linux box via a samba share.

I did add 512MB of memory not that long ago to the Linux box, but I have been
running memtest86+ for over 24 hours, without any errors reported at all.

I mounted the disk on another computer to have a look at the logs but the logs was
destroyed and I obviously don't have a backup of the log at the time of the crash.

SMART status on all HDD's is GOOD.
I have run a test utility on all the HDD's and the ware all good.

Not sure how I can test the motherboard? Any suggestions? It is an Asus A7V266-C.

A friend of mine told me that computers with AMD processors can have problems if
power save is enabled in the BIOS (like I had), something with the north bridge
being unavailable, could this be the problem and if so why did it first occur now?
It can't be just bad luck or coincidence when it happens twice  two days in a row.

Now I have disabled the USB controller and power save in the BIOS and hope that
helps, but I'm not very comfortable that I'm not sure what actually caused this.

I also tried to see if there has been any updates to uhci but I'm not sure I'm
looking the right place, yum.log doesn't tell much. Would uhci be part of a kernel
update?

Now I'm running a burn in test (lucifer) on storage to see it that can provoke it to
fail again.

> I'd guess disks, memory, and MB before the controller - emphasis on GUESS.

Your guess is very much appreciated and with no doubt better than mine as I really
can't see what the problem should be caused by.

best regards
Ulrik