[CentOS] Where do my RPMs actually go, and is it different for Red Hat builds?

Dave Gutteridge

dave at tokyocomedy.com
Thu Aug 11 17:07:22 UTC 2005

I'm trying to install themes for KDE. In doing so, I came across the
following web site which seems to have the themes I want as RPMs:
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/17/dept/3/idg/User+Interface_Desktop

The theme I want is called "Thinkeramik", and it has the following
versions, for various Red Hat builds:

thinkeramik-3.2.1-1.0.el3.kde.i386.rpm    RedHat EL 3
thinkeramik-3.2.1-1.0.el4.kde.i386.rpm    RedHat EL 4
thinkeramik-3.2.1-1.0.fc2.kde.i386.rpm    Fedora 2
thinkeramik-3.2.1-1.0.fc3.kde.i386.rpm    Fedora 3
thinkeramik-3.2.1-1.0.fc4.kde.i386.rpm    Fedora 4
thinkeramik-3.2.1-1.0.rh73.kde.i386.rpm    RedHat 7.X
thinkeramik-3.2.1-1.0.rh90.kde.i386.rpm    RedHat 9

I've read on this list that CentOS is equal to Red Hat 9, or to Red Hat
EL 4. So I'm not sure which download I should get, or which is better.

But in any case, I tried both Red Hat 9 and Red Hat EL 4.

In either case, when I click to download (in FireFox), I'm given the
option to install, so I do, and I enter my root password. It all seems
to go fine, without errors.

If I go to the command prompt and query the existence of the RPM, it's
there:
[root at localhost dave]# rpm -q thinkeramik
thinkeramik-3.2.1-1.0.rh90.kde

Then I go to the KDE Theme Manager in the Control Center, and here's
where I hit the wall. The theme "Thinkeramik" is not automatically
listed as one of the themes, so I click to "Install New Theme...".

But I have no idea where to look. The RPM has been isntalled...
somewhere, but I have no idea what directory to look in.

I looked on Google to try and figure out if there was an option with the
rpm command to locate the files associated with the RPM package, but was
unsuccessful.

Where should I look for the theme related files that the RPM should have
theoretically installed?

Dave