[CentOS] Firefox and Java on CentOS 4.1

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Fri Aug 12 14:25:25 UTC 2005

Thanks to all that helped.  It was of course the lack of a symlink since
the new firefox was in a different directory.

It does make you wonder, though, what mozilla think they are doing.
Googling around there are many cases of people falling foul of the same
thing - perhaps I should have surfed before shouting.

Given all that has gone into moz/FF, enabling the plugin installer to

(a) inherit/replicate any old links when updating,

(b) search for common locations eg /usr/java,

(c) add a browse facility rather than jumping off to sun's site which is
not really appropriate and

(d) set up the symlink within the gui

really cannot be all that difficult.

If we want Linux to succeed as a desktop competitor to Redmondware, FF
should make it easier to install plugins and include them when making an
upgrade.

It may be alright on a Windows platform but installing plugins either in
FF or mozilla - or I guess netscape - is a mess.

Bill must be laughing all the way to the next charity ball - bless him.

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at quantex-research.com              a.einstein at relativity.org
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com