[CentOS] Re: Need Dual Boot Installation Help -- "low-level" interoperability presentations

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Aug 12 14:46:49 UTC 2005

duffmckagan <mckagan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the information, and removing away my
> misconception.  This mailing list rocks. :)

I recently did a (quickly hacked together) set of
presentations for the St. Louis UNIX User's Group which is
local to my current client.  They cover a _lot_ of the
"low-level" interoperability issues between Linux and
Windows, almost all of which are inherent Windows issues
(e.g., issues with NTFS' design).

Probably of greatest interests are Part I which gives some PC
basic disk geometry/slicing intro/coverage in the
mid-to-latter slides:

http://www.geocities.com/thebs413/SLUUG_LowLevelInterop_Part1.pdf

As well as Part II that talks about Linux's 100% standards
compliance to ATA and BIOS Extended Interrupt 13h Disk
Services and various issues "buggy BIOSes" (which are still
commonplace *COUGH*IBM*COUGH*) plus Microsoft's _lack_ of
standards in the early slides:

http://www.geocities.com/thebs413/SLUUG_LowLevelInterop_Part2.pdf

Although you might want to read Part III which also covers
more about why NTFS is such an interoperability pain for
Windows NT/2000/XP systems themselves here:

http://www.geocities.com/thebs413/SLUUG_LowLevelInterop_Part3.pdf