[CentOS] Re: OT - RPM queries [was Re: Firefox, Flash and Java on CentOS 4.1 x86-64]

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Aug 12 15:08:05 UTC 2005

Karanbir Singh <Mail-Lists at karan.org> wrote:
> I agree with OT, your post had little use for someone who
> uses CentOS.

I was trying to find out how to best spit out what i386 RPMs
I had loaded on x86-64 and is VERY APPLICABLE TO THOSE OF US
RUNNING DESKTOPS/WORKSTATIONS WHERE WE NEED I386 BINARY
COMPATIBILITY!!!

Maybe some of you have not yet experienced the x86-64 port,
but x86-64 binaries canNOT call i386 libraries/plug-ins and
vice-versa.

After all, I was trying to help someone else with this exact
issue.  But in the end, I did post how to use "YUM" to list
all of the packages that I had loaded that were not in the
_stock_ repositories which is _very_applicable_ to CentOS,
CentOS Plus, CentOS Extras, etc... with "yum

At this point, I am going to *** HORDE MY KNOWLEDGE ***
because I'm sick and tired of the IGNORANCE OF SOME PEOPLE
who think something is off-topic when it's *CORE* to
RHEL/CENTOS.  I don't know how many times I've posted
something and people thought it was off-topic when it was
only viewed that way because of their *IGNORANCE* -- not
mine.  ;->

Think about that for a moment.  I know I have posted things
off-topic before (e.g., server hardware), but some things
that have 100% to do with maintaining i386/binary/libraries
on the x86-64 are 100% on-topic IMHO!  Again, maybe some of
you haven't deal with a desktop/workstation where they are --
even I hadn't on x86-64 servers _until_ I started deploying
x86-64 desktops, but I'm tired of this "attitude" based on
the the *IGNORANCE* of some people.

> I am sure you are aware of the fact that using these repo's
> on a CentOS Machine will cause you more damage than most
> people really want.

You can use CentOS i386, CentOS Plus i386, CentOS Extras
i386, maybe DAG. to find the _equivalents_.  I was _not_
advocating he use my Fedora repositories.  I was saying here
are the packages _not_ in Fedora Core, Extras and Livna.ORG
that you will probably find in the CentOS equivalents.

> How about a list of pkgs and dep's required to get i386
> Multimedia working well on a x86_64 CentOS Machine ?

No, because that would be "off-topic" -- especially if I
asked how to do it with RPM/YUM which seems to be
"off-topic."

I'm outta here.