[CentOS] FreeNX

Fri Aug 12 19:11:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 18:22 +0200, Maciej Żenczykowski wrote:
> Hi,
> my experience (I'm running self built latest nx from rick's source rpms
> (on Centos 4.1) with latest NoMachine client under Linux on FC2) with NX -
> still playing around with it though so maybe I'll figure it out...
>
> I can get to a black X screen with red/white !M displayed (which after a
> second or two vanishes).  Now if I ssh into the server and execute
> "DISPLAY=:1000 xterm" then I get an xterm in the blank NX server screen,
> in the xterm I can run "twm &" and quit the xterm and I have an TWM
> session working (I've also tried kdestart and gnome-session and those work
> as well).  However I can't get the server to automatically start these
> programs by itself - it would seem that this part of the client-server
> interaction ?suspends? part of the server process and no programs (like
> the window manager or an xterm or whatever) are ever actually launched.
> I'll look around, but for now the run nxclient to get nested X server nd
> run ssh afterwards to launch an xterm is sufficient for my needs :)

I had an issue with loading my "ssh Key" (which asked for input) in
my .bash_profile ... which caused the exact issue you mentioned ... a
black screen ... waiting for me to answer a question that I could not
see on the login.

After I got rid of that in my bash_profile it worked fine.

Seperate issue ...

What does the command:

nxserver --status

on the server give you?