[CentOS] How can I make these command prompt settings into universal settings?

Dave Gutteridge

dave at tokyocomedy.com
Sat Aug 13 09:15:06 UTC 2005

I've got it so that I can enable Japanese input into an application by
typing the following at a command prompt (with FireFox, for example):
[dave at localhost ~]$ kinput2 -canna &
[1] 10631
[dave at localhost ~]$ XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2' LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8 firefox

However, I would rather not have to type in all that craziness each time
I want to start an application. Further, instead of having to configure
each application individually, it would be better to have this setting
just on all the time for every application, both existing and new.

I was under the impression this was possible. Following advice gained
elswhere, I thought I could put the following into /etc/X11/Xresources:
! Japanese Input
#!/bin/sh
XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2' LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
kinput2 -canna &

But doing so results in Japanese input not being available for any
application.

I'm using KDE, and I learned that I should be able to put any shell
script in the ~/.kde/Autostart/ directory and have it launch on start.
So I put a file there called j-input.sh, changed it's permissions with
chmod 755, and put the same commands that I had in Xresources.

But still no result.

Long story short: How do I get these command line settings to be
permanently on:
XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2' LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
kinput2 -canna &

Dave