[CentOS] cyrus-imapd - unable to connect to POP3

Arun K. Khan knura at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 13 10:41:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 10:20 -0500, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> Cyrus must be told how to authenticate users.  Normally, it doesn't do the
> authentication itself (it's not running as root, so it can't access
> /etc/shadow
> file).  What is the value of sasl_pwcheck_method and sasl_mech_list in
> /etc/imapd.conf file?  You most likely want to set those to:
> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN

My /etc/imapd.conf is stock - I have made no changes to it.

> If sasl_pwcheck_method is set to saslauthd, is saslauthd running?  If not fire
> it up.  The configuration file for saslauthd (actually, it is config file for

saslauthd was not turned on.  Turned on saslauthd and now the POP3
session is able to authenticate the users.  However, I am now getting a
different error:

        $ telnet saraswati 110
        Trying 192.168.1.21...
        Connected to saraswati.
        Escape character is '^]'.
        +OK saraswati.surya-group.com Cyrus POP3
        v2.2.12-Invoca-RPM-2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1 server ready
        <1361606062.1123870902 at saraswati.surya-group.com>
        user arunk
        +OK Name is a valid mailbox
        pass **********
        -ERR [SYS/PERM] Unable to locate maildrop: Mailbox does not
        exist

Looked through the man pages for imapd.conf but I am not sure which
option I need to set.  I experimented with
"partition-default: /var/spool/mail" - no luck.

Any pointers highly appreciated.

Thanks.
--
Arun Khan <knura at yahoo.com>
Linux is a wigwam: No Windows, No Gates, Apache inside.