[CentOS] quick question on RAID 1

duffmckagan mckagan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 14:35:19 UTC 2005

On 8/13/05, Ulrik S. Kofod <usk at cybersite.dk> wrote:

> I have 3 disks that I want to setup in a raid 1, my questions is should I setup the
> 3rd disk as a spare-disk or should I mirror all 3 disks all the time?
>
> Will it perform *much* better to only mirror two and have the 3rd as a spare.
> Is it not safer to mirror all 3 drives all the time ?

I have seen some RAID -1 setups, but why 3 drives?

In Raid - 1 Setup, if one drive fails, all others fail.
So what is the point in using 3 drives in  RAID-1?

I am not an expert on this. But this is quite interesting.
Can you clarify this a bit for me please?

"No-one dies a virgin. Life screws everyone."