[CentOS] How can I make these command prompt settings into universal settings?

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Mon Aug 15 16:15:59 UTC 2005

Hello,

There is an alternative way (other than the one suggested by Johhy Hughes)
that is provided by KDE.

On startup kde executes all scripts in ~/.kde/Autostart but these scripts can
NOT modify the global/future environment (setting variables like XMODIFIERS
and LC_TYPE) as you did notice...

...but there is a way! kde has another special directory ~/.kde/env that works
the same way _BUT_ adds to the global/future environment. So you could add
the suggested piece of shell-script to (for example) ~/.kde/env/jap_input.sh

/Peter

On Saturday 13 August 2005 11.15, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> I've got it so that I can enable Japanese input into an application by
> typing the following at a command prompt (with FireFox, for example):
> [dave at localhost ~]$ kinput2 -canna &
> [1] 10631
> [dave at localhost ~]$ XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2' LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8 firefox
>
> However, I would rather not have to type in all that craziness each time
> I want to start an application. Further, instead of having to configure
> each application individually, it would be better to have this setting
> just on all the time for every application, both existing and new.
>
> I was under the impression this was possible. Following advice gained
> elswhere, I thought I could put the following into /etc/X11/Xresources:
> ! Japanese Input
> #!/bin/sh
> XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2' LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> kinput2 -canna &
>
> But doing so results in Japanese input not being available for any
> application.
>
> I'm using KDE, and I learned that I should be able to put any shell
> script in the ~/.kde/Autostart/ directory and have it launch on start.
> So I put a file there called j-input.sh, changed it's permissions with
> chmod 755, and put the same commands that I had in Xresources.
>
> But still no result.
>
> Long story short: How do I get these command line settings to be
> permanently on:
> XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2' LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> kinput2 -canna &
>
> Dave