[CentOS] Re: RedHat changes to remove file system support

Tue Aug 16 02:52:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 21:03 -0400, Shawn M. Jones wrote:
> Fong Vang wrote:
>
> >I thought my question was very specific: what did RedHat remove from
> >Anaconda to remove support for other journaling system except ext3
> >considering RHEL is based on Fedora?  You just kinda assume I didn't
> >do the due deligence to find on a search engine first.
> >
> >Okay, let me state it again more clearl.  I'm looking for a way to
> >directly support other journaling file systems (not just ext3) in
> >Anaconda itself.  Just wondering if anyone has done it already.  If
> >not, I can do it myself, that's fine.
> >

> Well, the Red Hat kernel is not compiled to support JFS or ReiserFS.
> You will need to either adapt the CentOSPlus kernel, or roll your own.
> I've noticed that the kernel on the install CDs does act differently
> than the one included with the distribution, so you might want to roll
> your own, or at least figure out what the differences are before trying.

If you put the CentOSPlus kernel and kernel-devel in the RPMS directory
and remove the others and use the build script, it will use that kernel
for install.

> On top of this, you will need to make modifications to anaconda to
> support the new filesystems.  For all I know this could be just adding
> them to a hash table or something in the code.

Not sure about this ...

> And in order for anaconda to work properly, you'll need the userspace
> tools for those added filesystems.

This would probably be the hardest part.  You need to not only have a
kernel that works, but also add executables that don't already exist to
the bin directory for anaconda ... and incorporate that into the current
GUI and curses disk druid.