[CentOS] preferences in used Compaq Proliant DL380 G1 vrs DL380 G2 etc

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Tue Aug 16 20:39:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Robert Hanson wrote:

> in the Compaq Proliant Rackmount DL380 line, the one that looks like the
> older 1850R is called a G1 meaning Generation 1 right?

Right.

> and then the DL380 G2 is a redesign that is gray and just has 6 drive bays
> up front correct?
It also has a slimline floppy and cd on the front.

> besides processor speed, do most of you prefer the DL380 G1 over the DL380
> G2 or vice versa?
Go for the g2, all other things being equal.  HP/Compaq's web site can
provide exact specs.  Compaq improved things pretty markedly with each
generation (RAID speed, RIB capabilities, internal bus speeds, etc).

> things to get. things to stay away from? please be as verbose as necessary

In the earlier ones, you will have to use IE to access the RIB card.
You may have to get/find a license key to activate the remote console.
I'm not sure when they introduced ssh to the rib card.

Download the appropriate "SmartStart" cd from the web site.  It will
allow you to configure the RAID card.  There are also utilities that you
can install in Linux to get the same functionality.

Very nice machines.