[CentOS] Contemplating Move

Mike McCarty

mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 16 22:05:50 UTC 2005

Hello, all. New to list.

I hope this isn't an FAQ. I looked at the FAQs I could find,
and didn't see it.

I am doing contract work, and was requested to install FC2
on my machine (last October). Since doing that, I have
tentatively concluded that the Fedora Core Project is
more or less beta test, and not really suitable for development
work. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong.

So I am considering a hop to a more stable environment. Since
CentOS is akin to The Product Produced By A Major Vendor Of
Linux Software Who Shall Remain Nameless, I was wondering if
the transition might be easier to CentOs rather than, say
Debian. (Makes me feel like I'm reading a Harry Potter
novel about He Who Shall Not Be Named.)

Is there any reasonable hope of an "upgrade" from FC2 to CentOS
4.1 or should/must I backup, install, and restore?

Thanks all in advance for replies.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.