[CentOS] Contemplating Move

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Tue Aug 16 23:15:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 17:05 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> I am doing contract work, and was requested to install FC2
> on my machine (last October). Since doing that, I have
> tentatively concluded that the Fedora Core Project is
> more or less beta test, and not really suitable for development
> work. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong.

This is in fact incorrect. CentOS is a better choice for remote servers
or machines that you don't want to upgrade every year or so, but that
doesn't make Fedora "beta" quality. It just has a more experimental
nature and a shorter life cycle.

> So I am considering a hop to a more stable environment. Since
> CentOS is akin to The Product Produced By A Major Vendor Of
> Linux Software Who Shall Remain Nameless, I was wondering if
> the transition might be easier to CentOs rather than, say
> Debian. (Makes me feel like I'm reading a Harry Potter
> novel about He Who Shall Not Be Named.)

Yes. CentOS is very Fedoraesque. It even uses yum.

> Is there any reasonable hope of an "upgrade" from FC2 to CentOS
> 4.1 or should/must I backup, install, and restore?

A clean install is recommended, although an upgrade may be possible.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://centos.ivazquez.net/