[CentOS] Re: Contemplating Move -- [OT] Fedora Core

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Aug 17 01:26:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 19:30 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>
> Thank you very much for your kind response.
>
> I'd like to re-iterate that nothing I have posted
> is intended to be a criticism of the Fedora Core
> Project, or any of the people working on it.
>
> I've found the FC people to be very cordial.
> (I've been somewhat active on the FC mail echo.)
>
> However, I'm rather tired of the continual pressure
> applied by them to "upgrade" to the next "level".
> I'd like a stable platform which doesn't shift around
> underneath my development. I'm more interested in
> Linux as a tool, than as an object of interest in
> and of itself. I'm more interested in using it than
> in getting it to work.
----
I think someone suggested it before in a way but it seems that Fedora is
on an every other pattern.

FC-1 was the last of the 2.4 kernels and very stable, pretty much a 9.1
thing.

FC-2 was the first with 2.6 kernel and SELinux and early GCC 3 and
suffered a bit.

FC-3 pretty much fixed all that didn't work well in FC-2 and is certain
to be a candidate for longevity in fedoralegacy

FC-4 is pushing the envelope again, GCC-4 is a big one but they have
adopted some beta versions of stuff that isn't entirely stable.

That is the stated agenda for Fedora. Still, for my desktop, I am
running Fedora...but not for servers.

Craig