[CentOS] Are these steps for re-installing Gnome correct/safe?

Dave Gutteridge dave at tokyocomedy.com
Wed Aug 17 02:46:44 UTC 2005

>mkdir ~/gnome-backup-$(date +%F) && mv ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus
>~/.gconf/apps/metacity ~/.gnome* ~/gnome-backup-$(date +%F)

Okay, so if I understand these commands correctly, this will back up my
current Gnome settings in case anything goes horribly wrong.

But I still need to know if the steps I intend to take are correct:

1. Stop X (By running telinit 3 at a command prompt?)
2. Use YUM to remove Gnome and KDE (#yum remove gnome kde?)
3. Use YUM to install Gnome (#yum install gnome?)
4. restart X (#telinit 5?)

I'm a newbie, and if I get to the command line and something goes wrong,
I won't be able to easily get back to a GUI interface, and then I won't
be able to access email or the web to seek help. So I need a little
guidance before I get in there and do these things so that I know I'll
come out the other side.

Dave