[CentOS] Are these steps for re-installing Gnome correct/safe?

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed Aug 17 02:59:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 11:28:01AM +0900, Dave Gutteridge enlightened us:
> My desktop environment has become a little chaotic, and, long story
> short, I would like to uninstall KDE and Gnome, and then reinstall
> Gnome. (I want to remove KDE for the time being because I just don't
> think I want it taking up space on my hard drive).
>
> The thing is, I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. For
> instance, I want to make sure I don't lose settings in X, like my
> xorg.conf file. I just want to reset my Gnome interface back to how it
> was when I first installed it.
>
> I'm thinking the steps I need to take are roughtly these, but it would
> be great if someone could verify that these will be a non-destructive
> way of getting Gnome back to it's original state:
>
> 1. Stop X (By running telinit 3 at a command prompt?)

Probably not necessary, but can't hurt.

> 2. Use YUM to remove Gnome and KDE (#yum remove gnome kde?)

yum groupremove "KDE (K Desktop Environment" "Gnome Desktop Environment"

> 3. Use YUM to install Gnome (#yum install gnome?)

yum groupinstall "Gnome Desktop Environment"

> 4. restart X (#telinit 5?)

Correct.

> Could someone clarify if I have the commands right, and if this process
> is safe to undertake?

Yes, it should be fine, but as mentioned in the other reply, you'll need to
(re)move the config files in your home directory as well.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics