[CentOS] Choosing to put CentOS in terms of itself ...

Bryan J. Smith

b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Aug 18 00:33:19 UTC 2005

I've been reading back through the archives, really detailed, especially
a select few people.  And I promise, this is the last time I'm going to
say this.

I think CentOS stands great on itself, and you don't need to define many
things is dislike of other distro.  I know many of us (at least us
Americans) like to put things in terms of "versus" as much as we can.
And I am too verbose, too "I see good in everything" and support so many
different flavors that there's always something to dislike about what I
say.

The sad this is that whenever someone comes in, and I try to explain
where Fedora Core fits in, other people come back in and assert things
on Fedora Core.  I have shown how Fedora Core is built, just like Red
Hat Linux before it.  I have painstakenly _not_ put things in terms of
"black'n white," but very detailed, very verbose statements.  I don't do
this because I'm defending any distro, but so people know what issues
they will run into -- because it's not about choice of brand names (we
already had that in the Windows world) -- but choice of the best
technology how we can get it.

It might be "animal farmish" but we're all standing on the shoulders of
others, and I don't dare say who's better than another.  In fact,
because of my neutrality and wiliness to see things from different
perspectives.

IN A NUTSHELL ...

If you re-read through my posts, all I'm doing is stating _positives_ of
solutions.  I'm giving _options_ for people and letting _them_ choose.
Many people can see that, and they don't mind that.  I think those
people who remind me of this.

But there are people who regularly see any positive statement I make as
a negative to their agendas, for whatever reasons.  There continues to
be a revisionist history that people want to infer about one company,
and my only mistake is to remind people of what I've said time and time
again.  And no, I'm not being "black'n white" -- I'm being positive from
_all_ points.  I'm not the one taking things so negatively, but showing
the vantage points of the approach and technology, because they _do_
overlap.

One thing you will never see me do is take something and not understand
why.  I strive to understand why, what it affects and how that affects
things.  Again, I have explained many things, Fedora Core, enough times
now that I know the regulars are sick.

But understand I am _not_ the only one in these threads, and some people
seem to wait to point _until_ they come up -- and not bother to help
people with other questions.  They can't complain about me without being
hypocrites in return.

Now I experimented with only helping people off-list at the end of last
week and over the weekend.  I think I'll go back to that for the sanity
of everyone on the list.  But really, I hope people do go back and read
what I've posted -- and the fact that I'm _always_ naming _positives_ of
solutions, and _giving_choice_.

I don't do this because I think I'm "better," I do it because I believe
it's important to understand not only why, but how that affects
everything else.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com