[CentOS] Starting a process at a specified nice value.

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Aug 18 17:02:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 12:49, CentOS-List at jamesplace.net wrote:
> I wonder if someone could point me to the appropriate docs for my question? If
> I would like to cause my system to always start 'smbd' processes at priority
> 7 for example, how would I go about doing that.
>
> I'm assuming there's a better way than running a cronjob every minute to
> renice existing processes.
>
> I'd appreciate some help pointing me in the right direction.

Check out the nice command.

NICE(1)                          User Commands
NICE(1)

NAME
       nice - run a program with modified scheduling priority

SYNOPSIS
       nice [OPTION] [COMMAND [ARG]...]

DESCRIPTION
       Run  COMMAND  with  an  adjusted scheduling priority.  With no
COMMAND,
       print the current scheduling priority.  ADJUST is 10 by default.
Range
       goes from -20 (highest priority) to 19 (lowest).

       -n, --adjustment=ADJUST
              increment priority by ADJUST first

       --help display this help and exit

       --version