[CentOS] Re: Contemplating Move -- [OT] Fedora Core

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Aug 18 17:10:55 UTC 2005

[ I thought long and hard whether to respond.  I'll let my
comments stand for themselves. ]

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> why not just develop thicker skin?

I have, but you only note when I respond.  Go back through
the archives and note all the times I don't, or on the rarer
occasion, someone else does for me.  ;->

> You tend to drone on and bludgeon everyone with your
> knowledge which is evidently quite vast.

I won't deny I'm abrasive in the eyes of some, possibly many.
But I am _not_ someone who has "vast knowledge."  Yes, I have
been doing Linux and NT since 1993, and OS/2 and UNIX before
that, especially as a hostmaster/postermaster on the Internet
from before the web.  That's going to bring a lot of things
to the table, but there are many other people here who do as
well!  I recognize this.

In fact, if you track the posts I respond to, I purposely
_avoid_ things I do not have "1st hand experience" with.
I've only done limited ASP/ISP work, I'm definitely not a web
development guru (done a PHP page or two, that's it).  My
primary roles have been as a network and systems architect
(IT) more in the engineering/financial industry (with some
layover into educational/medical), and an embedded and even
semiconductor design engineer.

I guess I got a bit "giddy" because there was _finally_
someone on the list who did what I did in the mid-'90s, using
GNU/Linux and GNU/Solaris as a development platform for
targetting other systems.  In fact, I noted several people
who were not catching that (and even the original poster
did), but I was.  This is what lead to massive Linux adoption
on the desktop in the engineering world (especially
aerospace, but also CAM applications, and later, EDA for
semicondutor).  In fact, this rolls into my next problem.

In the past, we've had people on CentOS flat out state that
there was no UNIX/Linux solution for enterprises before
ActiveDirectory Service (ADS).  And I'm basically pulling my
hair out when I see that from supposed Linux advocates!  It's
not only completely oblivious to those of us who _were_
running Linux in corporations for more than just web services
in the '90s, but is just incorrect marketing altogether.

> I recognize that it's just the way you are and don't dwell
> on it but for the more casual reader, it does get
> overwhelming.

And I can understand that.

But at the same time, I don't like to see select people give
me the attitude, "who do you think you are?"  I'm just a guy
responding where I've had experience, and keeping my mouth
100% shut when I don't.  Honestly, when I don't have
corporate experience with something, I keep my mouth shut for
the most part.

Especially when most of my knowledge comes from areas where
Linux is "less known for" because was more popular in the
engineering disciplines back in even the '90s.  I'm not
talking web services, the stealth Samba Print/File server or
other things.  CAM, EDA, cross-compiling, embedded and,
eventually, directory services, etc...  I mean, in any given
post on directory services, authentication, etc..., it's like
those of us who maintained Solaris and Linux systems on the
corporate networks of companies in the '90s just ... well ...
didn't exist.

Sorry, I got a bit excited when I saw someone who was
targetting non-Linux with a GNU/Linux platform.

> Just ignore the challenges and keep doing what you are
> doing - it's not like your gonna change who you are.
> I would prefer that you keep the help on list as your help
> is more valuable than to just one person.

Not sure because all it does is get the same repeat traffic.
You can't solely blame me for it like they want to, although
I understand that if I don't respond, I at least cut it by
50%.  ;->