[CentOS] RE: trying to upgrade from Centos 4.0 to current -- repair RPM database

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Aug 20 15:03:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 10:14 -0400, David Campbell wrote:
> Oh.. I forgot to mention that my rpm database on the server seems to be
> corrupted and it refuses to install the current kernel and updates. (one
> reason I want to upgrade from cd)

Execute:
  # rm /var/lib/rpm __db.00?
  # rpm --initdb

And optionally (as of RHL9+/RHEL3+)
  # rpm --rebuilddb

BTW, Berkeley Sleepycat DB (which RPM uses) has a tendency to do that
from time-to-time.  It was worse early on when RPM 4.0 first came out
(circa Red Hat Linux 8), but I rarely see it now days.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com