[CentOS] Job opportunities for Linux. [OT]

Steven Vishoot sir_funzone at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 22 06:23:01 UTC 2005

--- duffmckagan <mckagan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/19/05, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>
> wrote:
> > Rodrigo Barbosa <rodrigob at suespammers.org> wrote:
> > > Yeah yeah. I've heard that myself.
> >
> > It's the biggest load of BS.  When I hear fellow
> Microsoft
> > professionals spew that crap, I immediately tell
> them that
> > what feeds the negative views of Microsoft
> professionals.
> >
> > > Currently I own a company that provide Linux
> consulting,
> > > along with some other business lines. I keep
> getting job
> > > offers, and currently have a real hard time find
> good Linux
> > > professionals to work for me.
> >
> > Big-time dittos there -- "I ... current have a
> real hard time
> > find[ing] good Linux professionals to work for
> me."
> >
> > That's the problem.  You have the normal lack of
> > professionals  (in general) used to travel,
> contracts,
> > professionalism, etc...  Then you have the added
> problem of
> > Linux knowledge.  It is so very, very difficult to
> find the
> > combination.
> >
> > > Actually, from what I've heard, one of the
> bigest problems
> > > companies migrating to Linux are facing is the
> shortage of
> > > (good) Linux professionals.
> >
> > Exactomundo.
> >
> > Regardless of what you think of certification in
> general (I
> > loathe it, and have complained about the "cert
> whore"
> > industry where you have to do "tricks"), the
> non-profit Linux
> > Professional Institute (LPI) is trying to do its
> best to
> > further the concerns of Linux Professionals and
> employeers
> > alike ... world-wide.
> >
> > [ E.g., the US is #3 in number of LPI certified
> individuals.
> > ]
> >
> >   http://www.lpi.org
> >

> Thanks for replying here.

> --
> "No-one dies a virgin. Life screws everyone."

Ok now i have another question for all wise people out
there. Would it be adviseable/worthwhile for me to get
a certification in Red Hat. Maybe as a RHCT would love
to get RHCE, but i am thinking realistic. :-)

1. would spending this money help me get a job any
faster or a better chance of a job.
2. i know i have the knowledge of linux, or going this
approach wont matter in getting a job and i would just
be wasting money.

All opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Steven

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it said 'Requires Windows or better'. So I installed Linux."