[CentOS] Why shouldn't I expect more of CentOS/Linux?

Timothy timothy at jupiter.stcl.edu
Mon Aug 22 13:19:30 UTC 2005

On Monday 22 August 2005 07:37 am, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> >I've been using centos3 and centos4 with transcode, k3b, xine, mplayer and
> > yes even dvd::rip for a long time without any issues.  Shoot me a line
> > off list and I'll help you get this stuff working.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> I hope others will permit this discussion to continue on-list. Not just
> because of the possibility that others may be interested, but because I
> like the security of knowing this discussion is being stored in an
> archive somewhere in case I have a cataclysm on my machine and lose my
> own records.
>
> In any case, if you would be willing to share simply how you got
> dvd::rip working, that would be a great start. Was it an RPM install or
> using a tarball?
Tarball is best.  Always gives you the most control.  RPM is simpler, but you
are at the mercy of the package maintainer's choice of configure options.
Just use yum if you choose the later.  For centos3 add freshrpm.net FC1 repo
info to your yum.conf.

[freshrpms]
name=Fedora Core 1 - Freshrpms
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/1/$basearch/freshrpms/
mirrorlist=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/1/mirrors-freshrpms
gpgcheck=1
You will have to import the freshrpms gpg key of course if you enable the
gpgcheck as I have done.

For centos4 create a freshrpm.net FC3 repo.

Here's an example of what happens when you try to install dvd::rip on a
centos3.5 desktop using the freshrpms FC1 repository...

yum install perl-Video-DVDRip

Resolving dependencies
...Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[install: perl-Video-DVDRip 0.50.18-1.1.fc1.fr.i386]
I will install/upgrade these to satisfy the dependencies:
[deps: xvidcore 1.0.2-1.1.fc1.fr.i386]
[deps: libfame 0.9.1-1.fr.i386]
[deps: libdv 0.102-1.1.fc1.fr.i386]
[deps: vcdimager 0.7.14-4.1.fc1.fr.i386]
[deps: mjpegtools 1.6.2-1.fr.i386]
[deps: transcode 0.6.12-3.1.fc1.fr.i386]
[deps: a52dec 0.7.4-5.fr.i386]
[deps: libavc1394 0.4.1-2.fr.i386]
[deps: gtkglarea 1.2.2-16.i386]
[deps: ogmtools 1.4.1-1.1.fc1.fr.i386]
[deps: libquicktime 0.9.3-1.1.fc1.fr.i586]
[deps: libdvdread 0.9.4-4.fr.i386]
[deps: subtitleripper 0.3.2-1.fr.i386]
[deps: lame 3.96.1-1.1.fc1.fr.i386]
[deps: libglade 1:0.17-12.1.i386]
[deps: libdvdcss 1.2.8-2.fr.i386]
[deps: lzo 1.08-3.fr.i386]
[deps: Gtk-Perl 0.7008-31.i386]

You will notice that the version of dvd::rip is 0.50.18 not the latest 0.52.6.
I don't have any centos4 desktops at the moment to test on or I would show
you the output for that...

Hope this helps.

Tim