[CentOS] Why shouldn't I expect more of CentOS/Linux?

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Mon Aug 22 14:31:06 UTC 2005

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> I do appreciate everyone trying to steer me right so that I can
> understand the deal with Linux and CentOS.
>
> A lot of fair points have been made, and I've got to think about it a
> bit. Some people seem to be saying I can do the things I want to do,
> it just takes some work. Some people say I should lower my
> expectations of Linux. I suppose it's a little of both. Manage my
> expectations and be prepared for things to not be so clear.
>
> We'll see if I can get this dvd-rip software to fly. If so, I may be
> over the worst of my conversion pains.

I don't see the big deal.  There are a number of DVD rippers out there.
They'll probably all work with CentOS.  Find one that's got a Fedora
friendly source rpm and you should be good to go.  There is a LOT of
information/documentation out there on how to set this (and other)
applications up....both from scratch and from rpm/yum/apt repositories.
My experience with this list is that people are eager to help out.  You
might also want to consider doing some basic googling before you ask a
gazillion questions here though.  You don't want to use up all your
"karma" on questions that you can easily answer yourself with 30 seconds
of search engine effort.

I normally don't use Linux for desktop usage.  However, I recently set
up a CentOS 4.1 system specifically to use as a "windows replacement"
desktop system.  I haven't had a minute's trouble with it and have been
happily using it to watch movies, rip CDs, edit/consume M$ Office
documents, create some artwork with the Gimp, etc.    To date, I haven't
found anything I *can't* do with it (except cause it to crash....Windows
has that contest locked up...ooh...ugly pun...OK, I'm going now).  8-)

Cheers,