[CentOS] Why shouldn't I expect more of CentOS/Linux?

Mon Aug 22 15:34:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 23:14 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> I do appreciate everyone trying to steer me right so that I can
> understand the deal with Linux and CentOS.
>
> A lot of fair points have been made, and I've got to think about it a
> bit. Some people seem to be saying I can do the things I want to do, it
> just takes some work. Some people say I should lower my expectations of
> Linux. I suppose it's a little of both. Manage my expectations and be
> prepared for things to not be so clear.

I am just trying to prevent you from ruining the stability of your
system by installing shared libs from several different repos.

Karanbir took a look and he will have something that will transcode
dvd's in a day or so ... and be stable on CentOS.

The reason that the particular product (dvd-rip) won't build on EL4 is
that is uses an older gtk and libgnome ... CentOS-4 uses gtk2 and
libgnome2 ... installing programs that bring in older software that
might over-write system shared libraries, or mess up your other
gnome/gtk programs will not do you any good at all.

> We'll see if I can get this dvd-rip software to fly. If so, I may be
> over the worst of my conversion pains.

We really want to help ... and CentOS can be very stable.

The reason I do recommend DAG and Dries repos (and currently not any
others) is because they do have specific EL4 repos that only contain
items that build on EL4 ... so at least you know the libraries work with
EL4.  I still limit the packages in either of those repos to only
install packages not in CentOS repos.

ATRPMS also has EL4 stuff, but there are too many changes to core system
files for my taste in that repo, and I use freshrpms all the time for
FC, but I don't recommend it for EL4.  Both of these are good repos, I
just don't use them for CentOS.