[CentOS] CentOS 4.1 yum update just hangs

Remco Barendse redhat at barendse.to
Tue Aug 23 08:04:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
>
>>> I've had this exact same problem, and I uninstalled yum reinstalled it
>>> and it work for a day and then back to the same.  I've also had it
>>> working temporarily by doing a yum clean-all then yum makecache.  But
>>> next day it went back to doing the same old hang up.  I'm not sure if
>>> this is a yum problem or a centos problem.
>>>

>> I was having this exact issue recently. Or at least, Yum was hanging at the
>> same stage as what you describe.
>>
>> It was recommended to me on this list to do the following:
>>
>> cd /var/lib/rpm
>> rm __db.00*
>> rpm --rebuilddb
>>
>> This seems to have cleared up the problem for me. It might work for you.
>
> Are you running x86_64 ?
> Or is anyone here running x86_64 CentOS 4 and having success with yum update

I am running x86_6 and had strange problems twice after running yum
update. You didn't state you are using x86 or x86_64 CentOS DVD but I am
assuming it is the x86_64 DVD?? I used x86_64

The first time after a system crash (which I caused) the box was unable to
compile anything. The second time I had hang problems too. I just nuked
the box and am running a non updated CentOS 4.1 x86_64. For me it's no
problem. no access to the box is possible and it's not running any
services.