[CentOS] FTP timout

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 13:17:49 UTC 2005

On 8/24/05, Abd El-Hameed Ayad <hamid at use-trade.com> wrote:
> One of the servers is vsftpd & the other is pure-ftpd
> if i logged to server running vsftpd and tried to download any file, i can
> do that without problems regardless the size of the file.
> But if i logged to the server running pure-ftpd & tried to upload the same
> file, i get the time out message "Note here: The timeout always happens
> after the file completely uploaded, the ftp client hangs then gives the
> timeout message "
>
> Also, If i logged to the server running pure-ftpd, i can use ftp command to
> download any file from vsftpd server but i can't upload the same file back
> to the server if this file size is big
>
> Do you think that i should edit the configuration file for pure-ftd or
> vsftpd? If yes, Which parameter i should change

This sounds to me like a proxy/firewall problem, not an FTP
configuration problem.  My money says that the pure-ftpd box is behind
a proxy/firewall that is checking to make sure that your ftp session
is alive and at some point it says "no, I don't think it is" and it
starts dropping packets.  I only say that because I've seen the same
problem and it turned out to be firewall config.

Maybe you could create an ssh tunnel for your ftp send send it over
that and see if you get any difference.

Greg